Re: [NTLK] [OT] airports and Newts

From: Woo Lee (vitcitylb_at_earthlink.net)
Date: Sun Oct 07 2001 - 15:08:10 EDT

------------------
>Now I am not saying that we pilots don't make mistakes. We do.

Sushi, YOU'RE A PILOT???
Good thing to know a pilot out/up there uses a Newton, and doesn't fly by
his 'Palms'...LOL! ;-)
--------------------
>>The pilot is treated like a heroe because he could flight 18 minutes with
no engines and hard landed the plane.

>>A leak in an engine pipe let the plane loose all the
>>kerosene.
>>
>>The pilot should have isolated the engine with the
>>leak and finish with one engine.
>>
>>Instead of that, as one tank was emptiing faster, he
>>connect the balance of kero and bring the safe tank
>>to loose kero.

Also, don't forget that protocol requires to 'dump' excess fuel AND flight
instruments can't tell you everything that's happening, the pilot has to
'feel' the plane(is that why every transport medium is referred to as
'her'?).
----------------------
>>But what was learn during training ?
>>When one tank is lees heavy, you just balance kero by
>>bypass pipe between the tank.
>
>You don't just automatically transfer fuel from one tank to another.
>
>Let's not get carried away here!

IIRC, only military craft have this ability.
----------------------
>BTW, jet fuel, while similar, is not kerosene.
>
>Sushi

I hope not! The fuel line would be toast!
It sucks to learn that adding nitrogen gas(N2) into the jet fuel would
minimize excess burning, but the airlines are 'business first', consumer
safety second. But I still love to fly!

FREEDOM TO FLY!!!

BTW, I hope the Afghan. people are not used as 'human shields' by the
Taliban. Since the bombing started early this morning.
May Allah save the innocent, but let the Taliban choke on a cluster bomb
dropped by a female aviator! "THE BETTY'S ARE BAD!!!"

!ooW %-)
"Ask not what your country can do for you,
Ask what you can do for your country."...JFK, 01/20/1961

Pres. of Los Angeles Newton Users Group!