Re: [NTLK] Best way to prep card for ejection?

From: Robert Benschop (rbenschop_at_mac.com)
Date: Sun Oct 07 2001 - 04:53:30 EDT

on 06-10-2001 8:33, Paul Guyot at pguyot_at_kallisys.net wrote:

> Yes, you're right. Actually, the harmful part is doing the reset.
> In fact, it depends on how you "hit the reset button". If you do a
> software reset (e.g. Avi's BD's reset item in the [i] menu), after
> having closed applications, there should be no data loss at all
> (either on the card or on the internal store). Now, if you press the
> reset button on the back of your Newton, you might lose data (i.e.
> your last changes won't be saved - but there shouldn't be any data
> corruption).
>
> I see too many folks having problems with their cards and their data
> to advise violent operations like this one, although this is one of
> the least violent ones.

I'm amazed Paul, basically you're saying that it can be quite harmful to
press the reset button on the back !

Now since I use the restart script from Gesture Launch (and my guess is that
that's basically the same as any other software triggered restart from
within the Newt) I understand that I'm already better off.
But if I read your answer carefully, I should close all apps before
executing the restart script, am I right ?

So what's the best way to eject a card in the end, a software triggered
restart with all apps off or an unmounting app, and if that's the way to go
which one is the best ?
(I think you wrote one too, so this might be your chance for a shameless
plug ;-)

Robert Benschop