Re: [NTLK] Higher sampling rate

From: Marco Mailand (Newton2k1_at_mac.com)
Date: Thu Oct 04 2001 - 08:20:23 EDT

> I only need to record 30 sec. to 1.5 min. so I can play it back and hear
> myself. I would erase what I've recorded right away.
In another post VoiceNotes has been mentioned as possibility to sample with
8kS/s. That is the limit of the MP2k1 built-in audio circuitry. I've tried
it to record and listen music but I found that one can somehow hear
something of the sampling frequency or maybe even the 1st harmonic of it.
This is extremely annoying and I would strongly recommend you a MiniDisc.
Those devices are available as used units for an apple and an egg online. I
got a used SONY MZ-R30 for about 100 bucks some years ago and even new
devices from last year models are available for reduced prices in radio
shops at least here in CH. You can record in much better quality for less
money and with a way smaller device than a Newton is. Also additional
storage is cheap like compact cassettes but is very durable. I've also made
CD's from MD life recordings w/o much editing and got very good results in
very short time. Exporting Newton sound data to a PC gives also bad results
because of the extremely low sampling rate and monaural recording as well as
timing imperfections of VoiceNotes (which do not matter for voice
recordings).

--
With best regards / Viele Gruesse

Marco Mailand http://slsbd.psi.ch/timing