Re: [NTLK] ALT: NiMH batteries and Gameboy Advance

From: Marco Mailand (Newton2k1_at_mac.com)
Date: Wed Oct 03 2001 - 04:25:23 EDT

> got a Gameboy...
> If I used regular NiMH rechargeable AAs could it possibly do any
> damage to the hardware?
The basic behaviour of NiMH and NiCd accus is that they stay for about 90%
of their discharge time at around 1.2V +/-0.1V. The voltage decreases quite
slowly over a long time and thus the duration is strongly dependant upon the
minimal operation voltage at which the unit can operate. A few tens of
millivolts of this minimal operation voltage decide over hours of playtime.
Depending on the construction the minimal operation voltage might not be
stable and vary e.g. with temperature of the unit. You could check this by
connecting a laboratory power supply to the unit and play a game while
lowering the voltage. If it stops at e.g. 1.8 ... 2V accus will work like
alkalines if it stops at 2.4V you will be able to play 10min with fully
charged NiMHs. I heared that the new Gameboy doesn't run very long with NiMH
:-( but try it out.

--
With best regards / Viele Gruesse

Marco Mailand http://slsbd.psi.ch/timing