Re: [NTLK] My first Newton (finally!)

From: John Johnson (kamikazebear_at_excite.com)
Date: Mon Oct 01 2001 - 19:26:48 EDT

On Tue, 21 Aug 2001 13:07 -0700 (PDT), newtontalk_at_newtontalk.net wrote:

> ------------------
> >1. Is NCU free (on UNNA)? If I use this in conjunction with, say, Palm
> Desktop, will I be able to see my notes and such on my Mac?
>
> NCU is on UNNA. To 'see' your 'notes and such' on your Mac, hmmm...,
can't
> remember.
> ---------------
> >2. Is PrintPack free and on UNNA? Will this work with my Epson Stylus
> 740(has a serial port)?
>
> Yes it's free and also still on Apple's site.
> 740 needs the Printpack cable, or an older cable IIRC.
> ---------------
> >3. Do I need any special software on the Newt to connect it via
AppleTalk
> to my mac? I'll probably pick up one of those serial/ethernet appletalk
> adapters from Farallon.
>
> Check the 'ethernet' page. Yes you need the software, everything
'except'
> Newton Devices and the ethernet card driver can be on external card
store.
> ---------------
> >4. Speaking of which, could someone PLEASE help me figure out which of
the
> various Farallon EtherMac or iPrint products will work with the Newton
for
> backing up and syncing with my iBook?
>
> Check the ethernet page.
> ---------------
> >5. How long can I expect to get out of 4 good (Duracell or Energizer)
AA
> batteries? Luckily it came with a power adapter...
>
> Anywhere from 1-30 days depending on usage. When I travel on business
> trips I use alks that last 3-5 days including email and web-browsing and
> lots of backlight use.
> *VERY IMPORTANT*-DO NOT LET THE POWER GO OUT DURING MODEM/ETHERNET USE,
IF
> POWER GOES OUT THERE IS A CHANCE THE INTERNAL MEMORY STORE CAN BE
ERASED!!!
> Becareful, you can easily replace a modem/ethernet card, but you Newt.
is
> from a limited supply.-there, my public service announcement- :-)
> YMMY.
> ---------------
> >6. I also got an Apple 2mb Flash card. Will keeping this card in drain
> the battery faster (even if the card itself is not in use)?
>
> With memory cards inserted, your battery life will decrease by 0.1%. ;-)
> With modem/ethernet cards, your battery life will decrease by 10-40%.
They
> 'suck'...lots of juice, use the AC. :-o

I have been using a MegaHertz PCcard MoDem before I even knew there was
storage cards around (I still haven't actually come close enough to find out
how to *get* any!) but the power drain was nothing to worry about even with
a fairly heavyish use I have needed not more than one mains recharge a night
and this is usually no more than a few minutes with the exact time depending
on how long I was using it that day and the time spent actually *sending*
documents doesn't add enough drain to lose any sleep over (I've been using
the beast as an alarm-clock, too, but that's beside the point!) <|;+D John
J.
??looC yllatoT oS ooW sI yhW

> >Hmm.. I think that's about it for now. Thanks in advance for your help!
> I'm sure I'll be back with more questions later, haha.
> >Anthony Randazzo
> >SupahCoolX_at_mac.com
>
> You laugh now, we're laughing at every question you ask.
> haha...Haha...HAha...HAHa...HAHA...LOL...ROFL..._at_...@..._at_...#]
BONK!...hey