Re: [NTLK] MAD and NHttpLib progress

From: Eckhart Koeppen (eck1000_at_gmx.net)
Date: Thu Nov 29 2001 - 13:51:57 EST

Gerstein, Sam wrote:

> A question about this- you're using the store to buffer the incoming data?
> It may be that I'm just being paranoid, but I'm a little worried about
> constantly writing to my flash memory.

That's an interesting remark! I haven't thought about that myself...
Currently, the buffering is done using VBOs that are never actually
written to any kind of soup (i.e. no calls to EntryChangeXmit are made).
I am not sure about the implications this has and how the Newton OS
acutally caches these VBOs (it could be possible that only parts are
being swapped to the store), maybe Paul can shed some light on this.

I plan however to make the buffering configurable, so that either the
store or the NewtonScript heap is used, perhaps with the third option of
using the C++ heap (that has the disadvantage that in case something
goes wrong, the allocated memory is harder to reclaim and a restart
might be needed). The amount of memory that I think is needed at a
minimum is three buffers with 45k for streaming and two buffers for
direct playback. The C++ heap on an MP2100 certainly has that amount of
memory...

The whole buffering issue could possibly be avoided if there was a way
to talk to the Voyager chipset directly. The protoSoundChannel is nice
for short sounds, but for constant playback, it's a bit clumsy. A
different way to do all this would be to implement a codec (actually,
only the -dec part might be feasible), but I'm not sure if we have the
complete tool set for that.

Eckhart

--
                   -- eck_at_40hz.org -- www.40hz.org --