[NTLK] MAD and NHttpLib progress

From: Eckhart Koeppen (eck1000_at_gmx.net)
Date: Wed Nov 28 2001 - 18:14:45 EST

Hello all,

I'm still busy with MAD and have just uploaded version 0.3
(http://40hz.org/MADNewton/). Remember to grab version 2.2 of NHttpLib
as well.

Streaming is difficult, I do get really good results at home but at
work, the connection is strangely pretty bad and chokes. The little test
app now shows the status of the streaming buffer. It should be above 25%
for decent playback. The streaming buffer is allocated on the default
store and is currently 240k.

If you want to give it a try, you can either work with the sample stream
from Live365 (unreliable for me at work) or use your own web server and
point the test app to an MP3 file, ideally encoded at 56kbit/s, stereo,
22khz.

Related to that, I am working on a bug in NHttpLib. Grant Hutchinson
reports that it doesn't work for him anymore at all. I made some changes
to the HTTP header processing for Shoutcast streams, perhaps something
broke in the process. So if you have the time, take a look at the
NHttpLib page and download the library and the test app. The status
display in the test app should go through various stages, most important
is "Receiving Headers" followed by "Receiving Body".

The good news is that the core decoder seems to work pretty well, only
the output format needs more tweaking. If I'm not too lazy, I might put
together a little NewtApp that allows downloading of MP3 files to play
them from the Newton without streaming.

Eckhart

--
                   -- eck_at_40hz.org -- www.40hz.org --