Re: [NTLK] Potential for large number of bounced messages?

From: Victor Rehorst (victor_at_newtontalk.net)
Date: Wed Nov 28 2001 - 14:58:53 EST

On Wed, 28 Nov 2001, Eric L. Strobel wrote:

> There are a number of us on this list who are @Home customers. Excite is
> making noise like they want to shutdown the entire @Home system this Friday,
> as part of their ongoing bankruptcy saga. So, just a warning to those
> running the list (and everyone else)... If there really is a service
> interruption, I don't know what that many bounced messages will do.
> Further, I'd guess that a bunch of us might get automagically unsubscribed.
> Thoughts?

I've thought about this too. I'm a Rogers_at_Home subscriber, but just in
the nick of time Rogers has taken over their part of the @Home network
(Southern Ontario regions) to keep giving us service (hopefully as good as
it has been, I'm a very satisfied customer). I don't know if any other
cable companies are doing this. The only other ones I know of (both
Canadian) are Shaw, Cogeco, and Videotron. It looks like Shaw is
migrating people as well - I'm not sure about Cogeco or Videotron.

Regardless, no one is ever unsubscribed automatically by the list
software. The worst that will happen is that the address gets set to
vacation mode, and since I've tweaked the thresholds for when this
happens, it takes about 2-3 days worth of messages for it to kick in. So
no addresses will be lost. I get an error report every day from Listar
showing which addresses had delivery problems, what kinds of errors
occured, and if any action was taken or not.

However, what will probably happen is that if @Home doesn't do proper
forwarding of their old e-mail addresses to the new network providers'
accounts, there could be a bunch of people cut off. So:

IF YOU ARE A CURRENT @HOME SUBSCRIBER, AND YOU'VE BEEN TOLD THAT YOUR
@home.com E-MAIL ADDRESS IS CHANGING:

**Please** don't forget to unsubscribe your old address and subscribe with
your new one! I can't make all these changes manually - I can't guess
what your old address was - the list software is not psychic.

As was already mentioned by Eric, this has nothing to do with the hosting
of the list. The NewtonTalk server is now on a T1 connection, much more
reliable than the old SDSL (thanks Bill!).