[NTLK] Rhapsody == OS X

From: Sean Luke (sean_at_cs.gmu.edu)
Date: Wed Nov 28 2001 - 11:00:35 EST

On Tuesday, November 27, 2001, at 11:14 PM, newtontalk_at_newtontalk.net
wrote:

> Bill Davis (newton_at_ecity.net) wrote:
>
> Carbon alone makes for a big difference, but it's not the only one.
> Quartz (and thus PDF) replacing Display PostScript, Aqua, the seamless
> integration of classic apps, not to mention a myriad of details.

Aqua and seamless integration (drag/drop, cut/paste, etc., plus rootless
windows) of Classic were both in the planning stages for the final
version of Rhapsody already. Some other things in MacOS X that were
also developed for Rhapsody: the IOKit, Frameworks, Java 2.

There are basically two things which differ in any meaningful way
between MacOS X and the expected final version of Rhapsody:

        - Carbon
        - Quartz replacing DPS (but with pretty much the same API)

Consider the massive amount that's identical between Rhapsody and MacOS
X. I hardly think a library and a drop-in replacement for the graphics
system constitutes a new OS.

Sean