Re: [NTLK] [OT]iPod (Was Newton Dreams)

From: Eckhart Koeppen (eck1000_at_gmx.net)
Date: Tue Nov 27 2001 - 13:33:15 EST

Sushi wrote:

> I personally do not have an iPod and have only tried the demo model in a
> store. I did not notice the whine. Eckhart has since provided
> additional information so I will have to check the iPod out again in the
> future to see if I can hear it.

If you can't hear it or it if it doesn't bother you, then that's fine.
It really depends on volume leven and the music you are listening to. It
looks like a software issue, so it should be fixable as well.

> As for encoding MP3 music, I use 256K, True Stereo and 44.1K.

Unfortunately, the encoding bitrate does not make a difference regarding
the whine...

> One of my favorite CD's for checking sound systems is Lee Ritenour's, "On
> the Line" album.

Some of the older Nitzer Ebb stuff (e.g. "Showtime") is really great for
breaking stereos ;) That's also how I noticed the whine.

> I have not tested the iPod with it, but will have to give it a try next
> time -- maybe both in AIFF and MP3 format.

It's a great machine, the way an MP3 player should be done. Perhaps a
bigger drive would be nice. And the ability to play MP3 streams over the
non-existent Ethernet port - but that's what the Newton is for ;)

Eckhart

--
                   -- eck_at_40hz.org -- www.40hz.org --