Re: [NTLK] newtontalk Digest V1 #368

From: Oliver Brose (oliver.brose_at_t-online.de)
Date: Tue Nov 27 2001 - 10:17:39 EST

> Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2001 14:12:44 -0800
> From: Eckhart Koeppen <eck1000_at_gmx.net>
> Subject: Re: [NTLK] Newton Dreams
>
> Only if you do not take the decoder issue in account. The iPod generates
> a constant whine at 2.8 or 5.6khz (not everybody notices it though),
> audible at high volume levels. This is a decoder problem and not an
> electrical issue since it does not happen with AIFF playback.

Yuck! Okay, I'll *have* to test it. I mean, 6-8 CDs in AIFF is nice as well,
25+ CDs in 360kBit/s even more so, but constant whining... I'd hate that...
I can stand the Newtons whine, but that is not that close to my ear, after
all.

> Pretty loud. That would be a notch below *very loud* ... it doesn't go
> to 11, but definitely to 10 ;) When apple fixes the decoder problem,
> it's a really nice product. Just forget about the headphones that come
> with it and get a pair of Sennheiser MX 500's. They are awesome (and cheap!)

I actually saw one today (touch with foil only, no test :/), and I would not
use earplugs at all, I can't stand them. The KOSS Portapro is with me
already, and I'm not going to part from it. Not really cheap, but excellent
value for money.

Regards,

OIiver :)

--