Re: [NTLK] NiCd vs. NiMH

From: Joel M. Sciamma (joelsciamma_at_compuserve.com)
Date: Tue Nov 27 2001 - 09:23:58 EST

Jon,

> Yes, but there is no way with software to display temps, at least I haven't
> found any that can. All the software I've found doesn't work on the 120/130.

Access to the temperature sensor via the OS is a very low level thing - the
sensor is there in those models purely in the service of the charging
circuits to terminate charging.

To use temperature as an endpoint when charging batteries, you have to use
sufficiently high currents so that the temperature will rise steeply at the
end and so be an unabiguous signal against background changes in
temperature. This what the sensors do.

IIRC there are packages that derive a pseudo-ambient temperature reading
from the ARM chip. Anyone?

Joel.