Re: [NTLK] Fwd: Newton Backup to OSX without Classic ?

From: BK (bk_newtontalk_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Nov 27 2001 - 03:11:23 EST

On Tuesday, November 27, 2001, at 04:32 , Benjamin wrote:

> Question about NewtFTP, If I created a document in "Notes" is it
> possible to upload that document to a FTP server? because now I am using
> email to do the transfer (in OS X)

Yes, you can do that. I do that all the time - it's perfect for that.

NewtFTP installs another option into your rerouting menu. Here is what
you'd do...

1) tap the envelope of the Note you want to upload
2) select "transfer" (which is provided by NewtFTP)

then the NewtFTP sending envelope window pops up and asks you for

- Server (with user definable default and a popup list of recently
visited servers)
- Path (with a user definable default and a popup list of recently
visited paths)
- Filename (defaults to the title of your Note but you can write
something else here)

further there is a check box "Text only", which if you tick NewtFTP will
send the Note in plain text. Also, you can select the line termination
mode (CR/LF/CRLF).

3) fill in the form or just use the defaults and tap on the send button

that's it. NewtFTP will open a connection to the server and upload the
Note under the specified filename in the specified path from where you
can pick it up under OSX.

You can double click it and it should open with TextEdit straight away.

You can also go to list view on your Netwon and send multiple Notes at
once.

Check it out, with NewtFTP there is almost nothing else you need in
terms of connectivity. The only thing that it lacks is the ability to
upload/download soups for backup and restore.

If you upload anything with the "text only" box unchecked, the data will
be sent to the server as is and I suppose that a Newton savvy developer
will be able to write a Perl or AppleScript script to make use of all
the extra bits the Netwon adds. This could be used to write a platform
independent addressbook conversion script which if table or rule driven
could convert uploaded Netwon addresses into just about any format you
can imagine without any recoding of anything.

rgds
BK