Re: [NTLK] newton + entourage v.x?

From: BK (bk_newtontalk_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Nov 27 2001 - 00:21:12 EST

On Tuesday, November 27, 2001, at 04:21 , Jason Smith wrote:

> On Thursday, November 22, 2001, at 03:38 AM, Jon Glass wrote:
>
>> on 11/21/01 4:33 PM, Jakob Peterh=E4nsel at info_at_dnug.dk wrote:
>>
>>> So, it's not the same data. But you don't have to sync with the
>>> Classic
>>> Entourage! You just have to use the Classic Newtourage! Newtourage
>>> will
>>> happily talk to Entourage for OS X - thats the cool thing in OS X,
>>> AppleScript/Events don't care it it's a native or Classic app in the
>>> other end!
>>
>> Oh, weird. I wasn't expecting that! That is convenient. Now, I just
>> have to
>> go out and purchase the necessary parts... :-) I've been waiting to
>> upgrade
>> until I knew everything would be in place. Office X was the last piece
>> fall...
>
> Unfortunately, Apple's Mail support app, Address Book, is not
> scriptable. Blast. It would seem that this would have allowed a second
> sync opportunity.

You won't need AppleScript to import data into Mail.app. All the stuff
is in your home folder under ~/Library/Mail, likewise the Addressbook
stuff is under ~/Library/Addresses. I haven't yet looked at the format,
but I would assume it's all XML (most OSX things are) in which case you
can use AppleScript XML osax (available for OSX) to read and write it.

Should the format be difficult to encode, you can always set up another
mailbox in Mail.app, use UNIX as the type for your new mailbox and
specify the directory for the exported mail. Then copy the messages from
your Newton as plain text straight into that directory. Mail.app will
recognise them as incoming mail and show them in the inbox of the UNIX
type mailbox you set up for that. You could use NewtFTP to upload your
mail in plain text format into the UNIX mailbox directory on your OSX
box.

Yet another way is to setup your OSX system as a mail server. It's all
built-in. Then forward your mail from the Newton to a local mailbox on
your OSX system. Likewise, serve incoming messages via POP to your
Newton. You can do all kind of filtering and capping to a Newton
digestable size etc etc etc

Also, if you can export to Entourage format, Mail.app can import that.
Go to File -> Import Mailboxes and choose "Entourage".

One note on OSX/Classic AppleScript compatibility. It is correct that
AppleScipt itself is the same language under both OSes. However, many
AppleScript programs use Scripting Extensions (called osaxen) which are
not interchangeable between Classic and OSX. If your Classic script uses
an osax, then you will need a Carbon version of the same osax in order
to run that script under OSX. There are already quite a number of
carbonised osaxen available, but many are still not available,
especially user interface related stuff. For example Dialog Director is
not usable under OSX and I believe AkuaSweets is also not carbonised yet.

The situation will greatly improve with AppleScript Studio coming out
(scheduled release was December I think). This is a complete AppleScript
IDE with all the bells and whistles. Also FaceSpan was promised as a
carbonised version for the end of this year.

rgds
BK