Re: [NTLK] Ian is riding a taste sensation...

From: Sean Luke (sean_at_cs.gmu.edu)
Date: Mon Nov 26 2001 - 12:48:33 EST

On Monday, November 26, 2001, at 11:18 AM, Robert Benschop wrote:

> on 25-11-2001 11:49, Sean Luke at sean_at_cs.gmu.edu wrote:
>
>> A while back I posted a call for proposals for Java applet games that
>> might be fun to port to Waba. I got exactly two responses, one of
>> which
>> I implemented (SameGame). Pretty pathetic, everyone! Hey, do you want
>> some games on the Newton or what?
>
> Now I don't know any Java applet games at all, but before we get in a
> discussion about the Z interpreter, there have to be some people that do
> know a couple of Java applet games out here ?!!!
> (since I wouldn't mind a few more games myself ;-)

FWIW:

1. The NUGWash folks know that I have completed, but not yet stuck a
decent interface onto, Jatris, Brian Postma's Java Tetris applet
(http://www.homepages.hetnet.nl/~brianpostma). It works well so far --
of course there are plenty of Newton Tetris programs out there already I
imagine.

2. I have given some thought to Maze3D
(http://colbleep.ocs.lsumc.edu/index.html)

3. It looks like LunarLander
(http://www.serve.com/wizjd/java/JDLunarLander/JDLunarLander.html)
should be easily portable. Dunno 'bout the interface though, as it
prefers constant "mouse down" information which Waba doesn't support
well.

4. I was really hoping to port JCalc (http://www.javathings.com/) but
the license agreement on it basically says that "as soon" as he starts
selling it, I may no longer distribute it. So that's not doable. The
nifty thing about JCalc is that it has a ton of functions, including
symbolic differentiation.

Sean