[NTLK] screws for SER-001

From: Brian (bmcewen_at_mediaone.net)
Date: Sun Nov 25 2001 - 22:22:22 EST

I have new screws that match the threads on the 2 screws (one long, one
short) that David sent me for my SER-001.

They are size 1-72; however, David's screws were in lengths that I could
not find- for the long one, I found 1/2", his is about 15/32" (sorry for
non-metrics). I forget the length of the short one but it's similarly just
a smidge under what the shop had on hand. They are pan-head.

I'm just going to put a nut on the screw, grind off (or cut off with a
jeweler's saw, I'll see how badly I mangle the threads) 1/32" with a bench
grinder, then remove the nut to clear the threads. Should be good to go.
I've made my own offset screws this way before.

I don't know that removing the tiny bit of length is needed, but there's
not much space in the newton...

Anyway I will be back home and able to work with this during the second
week of Dec.

If anyone wants screws that could not find them, I'll be happy to mail out
some, just send me a private email. It will be a little bit though (see
above).

I will keep a look out for 15/32" length but had to look a bit to find even
these 1/2". Of course mail order is possible now that you know the thread
size (I tested with nuts at the shop until I found the right one- so I
could only test places that had actual stock on hand, and most places don't
carry below 1-40. I didn't wish to mail order each of 1-40, 1-64, 1-72, and
0-80 just to see which was right...).

Hope this helps (someone besides Victor :)