Re: [NTLK] fixing broken dongle port

From: greenguy (greenguy_at_oanet.com)
Date: Sun Nov 25 2001 - 17:15:36 EST

>> I am considering purchasing a spare mp2k. I found one for relatively cheap
>> but the dongle port has been pushed in.
>>
>> I have heard this problem discussed before, but wanted to clarify with you
>> guys weather this was something that your average computer hardware tech(me)
>> could fix. Is it likely that this port can be re-soldered to the board?
>
> I think it can be re-soldered on the motherboard, but I'm not sure I would
> classify this operation as "something that your average computer hardware
> tech could fix"...
>
> The first thing would probably be to open it to assess the damage. Since you
> probably haven't got your hands on it yet, it's kind of a guess...
>
> -Laurent.

Well, I have been a tech for way too long, so I do remember the days when we
used soldering iron's. I do have a US military spec certification for that
kind of work, so the re-attachment doesn't scare me too badly. I guess what
I'm really wondering is if it has successfully been done or does everyone
just send them into Apple. Is it likely the board has been damaged?

thanks