Re: [NTLK] Warning: Dipwad ZDNet Columnist Ahead

From: Grant [Box Model] Hutchinson (grant_at_splorp.com)
Date: Sat Nov 24 2001 - 18:36:48 EST

In a previous message, James Elliott typed vigorously:

>I agree that Apple screwed itself, but the Newt does not fit the definition
>that he gave for a turkey. He said that a turkey was something that
>involved lame thinking or was a laughable loser. The Newt was neither.
>It just couldn't find the right market and couldn't shake the bad
>reputation that it gained early on.
>
>>The Newton is an amazing piece of technology- but yup, it's a turkey, the
>>same way NeXTStep was, and Lisa, and Betamax- a well-engineered product
>>concept, the execution of was totally bungled by a corporation thanks to
>>marketing hype that was never lived up to. So I don't see much of a need to
>>flame Coursey. Or does anyone seriously think Apple didn't botch the
>>potential of Newton repeatedly?

And certainly "amazing piece of technology" != "turkey".

A turkey might be considered something that consumers didn't want, thus
it didn't sell, and those that did get sold, didn't work. This doesn't
sound like the Newton. Consumers obviously wanted something like the
Newton, because it did sell. Unfortunately, Apple couldn't deliver it
properly and admittedly, it initially didn't work very well. When Apple
did finally deliver on the promise of the Newton, it worked remarkably
well - as we're all testament to - but it was far too late. And then
along came Steve...

Ah, well...

I, for one, am not going to keep beating this dead horse. I hope that
enough reason and factual evidence was forwarded to the aforementioned
"dipwad" so that he now stands corrected. Editor, indeed. Feh.

g.

Grant Hutchinson Interface Considerations & Toys

Live video served fresh since 1996. http://www.splorp.com/cam/
Now fortified with daily ramblings. http://www.splorp.com/blog/
Newton. It's the Palm with a brain. http://www.splorp.com/newton/