Re: [NTLK] Easter Eggs (was Time Zones Fun)

From: Mark Rollins (mark_at_mrollins.com)
Date: Sat Nov 24 2001 - 11:19:03 EST

From: Ed Kummel <tech_ed_at_yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [NTLK] Time Zones Fun

>Dredging up ancient memories, wasn't there an Easter
>Egg, or something similar that would randomly depict a
>place where Elvis was seen? I remember that you would

(from various sources, additions anyone?)

NewtOS 1.x Easter Eggs

- Perform an Assist on the phrase "Find Elvis" (without quotes)

- Perform an Assist on the phrase "About Newton" (without quotes;
pre-OS 1.3, shows Programmers names, often letteres are randomly
dropped, finishes dedication to a deceased team member, Ko Isono, who
commited suicide)

- Perform an Assist on the phrase "Über Newton" (without quotes; German
pre-OS 1.3 only)

 - Put two or three spaces after the first line of your address and you
will get a different start-up screen. The screens vary depending on
Newton and country: MP100: 1 space: cat on a chair playing with a
Newton, 2 spaces: crow holding a Newton stylus in his talons, and the
Newton lightbulb logo; MP110: 2 spaces: Cat on chair, 3 or more spaces:
a baby newt in a cage with a Dec. 15, 1993 birth announcement; MP 120: 2
spaces: Cat on chair, 3 spaces: Newt in the garden of eden (Does not
work on the French version)

 - Set your country is "Graceland" puts a Newt onto the start-up
(without quotes; pre-OS 1.3)

 - Open the Extras drawer and click un the upper left corner then in the
upper right corner; you'll see a connecton/debugging dialog.

 - If the MessagePad displays a warning or error message, you can tap on
the up and down arrows to view the last 4 system messages

 - Play around with both batteries removed, popping them in and out,
tapping Reset until you get a Diagnostic Screen. This is different that
the connection/debug screen, as it includes a lot of menu choices for
service techs; also has an option (which is disabled) to turn on
"deferred recognition" which didn't make it until OS 1.3 (pre-OS 1.3)

 - Do an Assist on the phrase "schedule happy hour Friday" (with the
Getting Started card installed). You'll get the following Who: Apple
Assurance, When: (the next Fri.), Where: Apple Assurance, Subject:
Schedule (MP110 only?)

 - Hold your pen on the clock in the lower left hand corner of the
screen, keep holding it there it will then display the temperature
(pre-OS 1.3 only)

 - Hit the reset button in the battery compartment, then turn the Newt
on. Tap Undo, and an error message ("There is nothing to undo")
appears. Tap the Overview button, and you'll see two error messages that
say "Newton." Tap on the first one. It will say "Welcome to Newton."
Now tap the Information sign in that box. The date and time displayed
are supposedly the first human landing on the moon. (7/29/69, 2:35 am).
Supposedly the first step on moon was 10:56:15 p.m. EDT.

 - On the German version the date is the date for the fall of the Berlin
Wall 11/9/1989, 21:00 (pre-OS 1.3 only)

 - On the French version the date is the date for D-Day 6/6/44, 10:00

- Open Dates, click the upper left-hand corner, above the first letter
in the name of the day, the phase of the moon should appear. Tap twice
and it will stay on-screen longer.

 - Clicking the version number of the Memory Preference shows the programmers

 - There is a secret font called "Espy". To get it, do an Assist on the
phrase "Remember toothpaste"; "Toothpaste" will be entered in the ToDo
list. The font used is the secret font. Copy the word "Toothpaste" to a
note, while it is still selected, type "Espy". When you want to use this
font, select some text and move it to the right of "Espy".

NewtOS 2.x Easter Eggs (from various sources, some do not work with the eMate)

 - In Time Zones (including a world map) there is an entry for Area 51
(secret US Air Force test base, not on many maps, called Groom Lake on
maps). If you pick Area 51 as your locale, the icons in Dates take on an
alien theme. Meetings are represented by a person facing an alien, an
Event is a flying saucer, a To-Do is a robot. Allegedly the CIA
complained to Apple, but the ROM was "Golden" so the Area 51 was hidden
by a software patch. To get the Easter egg back: open the Extras
drawer, switch the folder of the Extras drawer to Storage, tap on the
icon Time Zones and tap Delete (warning, any cities added will be lost)
 Now look in Time Zones Area 51 is on the map.

 - On the MP 130, you will not see "Area 51", but instead you will see
either "Groom Lake" or "Dreamland".

 - Do an Assist on the phrase "Egg Freckles" (without quotes; OS 2.0
only but I think there's an enabler for OS 2.1 Newts, It will display a
screen with a Doonesberry panel, where Mike Doonesberry is holding a
Newton with a caption saying "Egg Freckles?". )

 - Write "Rosetta! Rosetta! Rosetta!" (without quotes) using the printed
recognizer. ("Rosetta! Rosetta! Hey, that's me!" appears, doesn't work
on eMate)

 - Tap two times rapidly in the get info box of a Newton book. Then tap
the close box. (it will show text "I only ask for information -
Copperfield" and a small picture of a Newt writing on a Newton)

 - In Time Zones click in the ocean or somewhere far away from
civilization ("middle of nowhere")

 - In Time Zones click where the Titanic sank (mid-Atlantic)

 - In Time Zones Mt. Everest is listed as a city (MP130 only?)

 - Do an Assist on the phrase "neat bong" and a list of Newton
development team members appears (without quotes; OS 2.0 only)

 - In Dates open Prefs under the Info button. In Prefs tap in the 3
other corners than the corner with the close box. The title of the Dates
Pref changes to programmers names "Scott Jensen", "Fred Tou", "Jeremy Wyld"

 - There is an eclipse Easter egg that shows on dates where there is an
eclipse somewhere in the world. There was an eclipse on Oct. 24, 1995.
Supposedly only 10 years' worth were programmed in.

 - There are 2 card games - Poker and some other card game (Patience).
There are several software packages to show these apps. You can also
make a direct NewtonScript call through Works to get the poker game:
make a new spreadsheet, enter a new cell with the following content
(without quotes) "=buildContext(@830):open()", then, tap the checkmark
button. You can get the other card game the same way, with the call of: "=buildContext(@831):open()"

 - Write any of the following three times without quotes, the last of
the threee you write changes to what is in parenthesis: "larryy" (Good
Worker) [this means "larryy larryy larryy" becomes "larryy larryy Good
Worker", "Brandyn" or "lesv" (angel), "stafford" or "lyon" (Richard) (OS
2.0 only)

 - Write any of the following three times (without quotes): "larryy"
(The Doctor is on), "Brandyn" (brandyn_at_brainstorm.com), "lesv" (fishing
rod), "lyon" (Richard), "stafford" (bill) (OS 2.1 only)

 - In the Map and Time Zones you'll fine two towns: "Newton, Iowa" (home
of Maytag) and "Newtonmore" in the UK.

 - In Time Zone, tap on opposite corners of the Time Zones slip. The
farthest city in the world from your location will be selected.

 - If you keep the pen pressed down 1/4" from the left side of the
screen, about halfway down, when booting up, the Newton will ask if you
want to bypass installscripts, effectively booting with all packages
frozen.

 - Perform an Assist on the phrase "About Newton" (without quotes; the
Assist dialog box asks "What about Newton?" then runs through
programmers names "What about roger?" "What about Ed?", even asks things
like "What about jerk?"

 - Tap the Assist icon, tap the Please popup, one of the choices may be
"tell me a joke" - however tapping Do or How Do I? buttons has no effect
(OS 2.1 only)

 - Open the Clock, tap on Set -> Minute Timer, set the time to one
minute;close the clock and re-open it, tap Set -> Minute Timer again -
the clock will tick the seconds until you close the clock or the timer
goes off.

 - The tones generated with taps of the pen on the Newton 2.0 are not
random, they make a short song. The best way to try this is to make a
check list in Notes and then check and uncheck the check box.The notes
for the Newton song are according to the C major scale (a little bit
higher than normal scale)...
      E C C F G D E D G F G C A D G G C
      3 1 1 4 5 2 3 2 5 4 5 1 6 2 5 5 1
   The best reference I could find says it's the OSCAR Mayer Theme Song.

Mark Rollins
mark_at_mrollins.com
www.mrollins.com