Re: [NTLK] AW: AW: Cover me... I'm goin' in!

From: Marco Mailand (Newton2k1_at_mac.com)
Date: Fri Nov 23 2001 - 04:39:55 EST

> From an electrical engineers point of view the SER-001 is a real nice
piece of hardware, adding a protection for yor serial connection.
> All in all you can call it a professional solution.
I would like to have this emphasized. The possible risc due to soldering is
non-existent with the SER-001, which is the reason I bought. So far I've
modified 4 Newtons by soldering and had luck, no damage so far. The worst
which could happen during soldering is shorting of pins with solder, but
this you can (and I did!) test before switching on. I had have recently
another fault in one of my donglekilled Newtons: +5V connected to the Tx pin
which prevented AppleTalk operation. After removing this short this Newton
worked fine w/o any sign of damage. It is precious electronics but it is
roboust and designed to withstand certain fault conditions.

However, there is the risc of electrostatic damage in installing the SER-001
too, which is to often underestimated.

--
With best regards / Viele Gruesse!

Marco Mailand http://slsbd.psi.ch/timing