Re: [NTLK] Hoarding Newtons...

From: James Elliott (rootbeeraddict_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Nov 21 2001 - 13:48:16 EST

There is also the advantage of making people happy and productive by
showing them the greatness of the Newton. I know a guy who needed a
handheld that accepted ethernet and GPS stuff and was not satisfied with
the Palm. I showed him my Newt and then extolled the virtues of the 2100.
He is currently looking for one(if you have any for sale, tell me so I can
direct him to you). Such a machine would asily make him happier and more
productive. I think that that is an excellent reason to bring someone into
the fold.

And I can easily understand what you say about having a parts machine. I
now wish I had one since the infrared cover on my (one and only Newt) 120
broke.

-James

>I am not against people who want newtons getting them. I am against
>trying to convince people who don't know about the newton that they
>should switch to it. There is a big difference.
>
>Someone who has an OMP, or already wants one is essentially already "in
>the fold" I just don't think there is any advantage to recruiting new
>people into the Newton community.
>
>Except, of course, the benefit of new consumers for our wonderful
>developers.
>
>As for the spare parts comment. I was speaking as part of a community.
>I am not talking about newton owners hoarding 10 machines for their own
>spare parts. But 10 machines available to the community for spare parts
>does more good than giving those 10 machines to 10 new people who don't
>know how to use a Newton and who might be happy with a palm. Leaving us
>dia hard newton owners with no hope if our newtons break.

The James Elliott Newton Site
http://www.geocities.com/rootbeeraddict/newton.html
Is that a Newton in your pocket, or are you happy to see me?