Re: [NTLK] Cover me... I'm goin' in!

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Wed Nov 21 2001 - 10:13:16 EST

On 11/21/01 5:19 AM, "John Skinner" <john_at_johnskinner.net> wrote:

> So that's what the inside of the 2100 looks like!
>
> Hello, I'm am opening up my Newton to prepare for modifications; audio
> in and out, and maybe a home-made SER-001!
>
> I'll keep you posted!
>
> P.S. Any special advice from someone whose been there?

Just be careful if you plan to remove or disassemble any part inside. As you
may imagine, it's pretty tight in there so that parts are tiny and easily
lost. There are a few things that also need to be put together the exact
right way, or they won't work/fit perfectly.

Other than that, it's relatively easy to open. Be careful with the case, as
it may seems hard to remove at first. You need to pry it open from the
battery compartment and open it up. Then, you'll be able to remove it from
the top of the Newton.

-Laurent.

Brooks's Law prov.: "Adding manpower to a late software project makes it
later" -- a result of the fact that the expected advantage from splitting
development work among N programmers is O(N) (that is, proportional to N),
but the complexity and communications cost associated with coordinating and
then merging their work is O(N^2) (that is, proportional to the square of
N). The quote is from Fred Brooks, a manager of IBM's OS/360 project and
author of "The Mythical Man-Month" (Addison-Wesley, 1975, ISBN
0-201-00650-2), an excellent early book on software engineering.