Re: [NTLK] Bad *pen* recognition

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Tue Nov 20 2001 - 11:17:45 EST

On 11/20/01 11:11 AM, "Laurent Daudelin" <laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com>
wrote:

> On 11/20/01 9:33 AM, "Bryan Todd Oakley" <oakertood_at_yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> It's my first time posting, so please be kind with any faux pas.
>>
>> I just got a 2000>2100 on eBay. I rec'd it in pretty good condition. I was
>> upgrading from a 110,
>> so it was amazing! But now I can't seem to get the alignment or something to
>> related to work.
>> Sometimes, the alignment is *way* off and sometimes the handwriting
>> represented on the screen is
>> totally whacked. It draws straight lines backwards and sometimes, even though
>> I am writing
>> "correctly" it overwrites the previous letters with the new ones. Needless to
>> say, It seems almost
>> unbearable.
>>
>> Side Question: Are there any *NEW*, still-in-the-box MP2100's out there?
>
> It seems that your MP2000 is exhibiting what we called "the jaggies", which
> is a known problem for MP2x00. The cause however is not that clear or
> obvious. Some people reported that the problem is caused by a system info
> (soup) corruption. Deleting the system soup did fix the problem for some.
> That could be particularly true in your case if you got this used MP2000 and
> didn't do a "hard reset". Check the FAQ if you want to know what a "hard
> reset" is. You need to know that if you do that, you will loose most of your
> preferences, including your handwriting preferences a also probably a lot of
> registration for any 3rd party applications you bought.
>
> For other people, this was caused by an non-uniformed pressure applied on
> the touch screen, sometimes cause by some grits that are lodged underneath
> the case, around the touch screen. The theory goes that even the smallest
> piece of dirt can cause a pressure on the touch screen so that if you move
> your pen in that area, the touch screen doesn't track the pressure very
> well.

Sorry, forgot to mention that you could probably get rid of the system soup
using SBM's Utilities. Or any other soup editor would do, I would guess. You
would need to reset your MP2000 after removing it, though.

To remove the dirt that might be causing problems, use a business card.
Swipe it carefully underneath the case, all around the touch screen. Be
careful not to scratch the screen, specially if you don't have any screen
protector...

-Laurent.

choke v.: 1. [common] To reject input, often ungracefully. "NULs make System
V's lpr(1) choke." "I tried building an EMACS binary to use X, but cpp(1)
choked on all those #defines." See barf, gag, vi. 2. [MIT] More generally,
to fail at any endeavor, but with some flair or bravado; the popular
definition is "to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory."