Re: [NTLK] re- niMH batts on 130

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Nov 20 2001 - 00:21:42 EST

You might find that after you run the batteries in
your Quicktake camera, that the batteries are good for
several more days, to a week or two in your Newt
without needing to recharge.
Huh? you say?
Well, let me explain...
There's a little thing in electronics called TTL
circuitry. To minimalize a rather complex subject, I'm
going to get really basic...here goes.
TTL circuitry needs 5volts, everything else doesn't.
There.
What does this mean? Well, your camera uses TTL
circuitry (its what drives the LCD and the CCD
supporting circuitry) This means that your camera
needs a minimum of 5v in order to function. Given that
each battery gives (alkaline) 1.5 volts, 4 of these
will give 6 volts total. This means that each battery
can afford to loose 1/4 of a volt before the camera is
non-operational. That's only 1/6th of the battery's
capacity! This means that those alkalines you're
throwing away have far more life in them...and the
rechargeables you have are developing a memory effect
by not being discharged completly (don't get into the
discussion about NiMH, or Lion batteries not having a
memory...it's all phooey! All batteries have
memory...to some extent, even lead acid!)
So, when your batteries are no good in your camera,
you can put them in a low current draw item....like
your Newt!
In my instance, I put alkalines in my camera, take a
few hundred shots, then they go into my newt for
several more weeks (now that my company has taken away
my pager...cutbacks you know *boo-hoo*---I'm crying
real tears here ya know, I no longer need to migrate
the batteries to my pager!)
So, there you have it! Ed's rule of battery management
(you know, I did this professionally...battery
management...managed the rechargeable batteries for a
2,500 walkie-talkie rental department...4 batteries
each...two for each unit had to be charged at all
times!)
Ed
web/gadget guru

--- "A.Duggan" <admed_at_sympatico.ca> wrote:

> good to know, thx. I actually have two sets (of 4)
> AA nimhs that i
> use with my Quicktake 200, and I use an external
> wall charger to
> charge them. So I'll use that charger to recharge
> the nimhs I put in
> the newt. I find nicads dont work for long with the
> backlight on. I
> am hoping the nimhs will perform better.
>
> thx
> ~alex
>

> At 12:45 PM -0500 19/11/01,
> newtontalk_at_newtontalk.net wrote:
> >
> >Subject: Re: [NTLK] nimh's in 130?
> >From: rkadowns_at_mac.com
> >

> >I have been using them for quite some time now. I
> don't get very good
> >indication of the battery life since the Newton
> cannot anticipate the
> >discharge curve of NiMH, but no other problems
> really. Also keep in
> >mind that the Newton cannot charge NiMH batteries
> as they are meant to.
> >Nicads use a Peak Voltage method to indicate full
> charge whereas for
> >proper NiMH charging you must monitor the battery
> temp. The end result
> >are NiMH batteries that will run your Newt longer,
> but you will end up
> >with NiMH batts that do not take charges as many
> times as they would
> >normally. I believe Apple would like you to not
> use them since the
> >Newton will not stop charging the batteries even
> after they are fully
> >charged which will open the door for the
> possibility of seeping batts.
> >
> >FYI, I have been using one set for more that 9
> months now.
> >
> >Robert

=====
- The Powerpuff Girls -