Re: [NTLK] broken battery contact

From: Laurent Daudelin (nemesys_at_cox.rr.com)
Date: Sun Nov 18 2001 - 13:23:54 EST

on 18/11/01 11:23, Daniel ZS. Jagendorf at bufoamer_at_nyct.net wrote:

> The battery contact in my MP2k has broken off. I was thinking of
> soldering in a small flashlight spring contact to replace it.
> My question is, is it safe for me to do this myself, and/or will the
> spring work (I've saved the old tip)?
> I've done small electrical repair projects around the house but that's
> the extent of my skills.

You would probably be able to repair it. However, I've found the spring
contact mechanism in the 2000 to be very hard to put back together, once it
has came off. You might want to be very careful before removing any part.
Even take picture, if you can. I haven't seen any site that shows *CLEARLY*
the mechanism installed, even less instructions to put it back like it
should.

-Laurent.

dinosaur n.: 1. Any hardware requiring raised flooring and special power. Used especially of old minis and mainframes, in contrast with newer microprocessor-based machines. In a famous quote from the 1988 Unix EXPO, Bill Joy compared the liquid-cooled mainframe in the massive IBM display with a grazing dinosaur "with a truck outside pumping its bodily fluids through it". IBM was not amused. Compare big iron; see also mainframe. 2. [IBM] A very conservative user; a zipperhead.