Re: [NTLK] Ultrakey for eMate

From: C.W. Otto Sohn (oky_at_avalon.net)
Date: Sat Nov 17 2001 - 10:23:22 EST

>From: "Kevin LaCombe" <klacombe_at_ix.netcom.com>
>Subject: [NTLK] Ultrakey for eMate
>Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2001 23:09:20 -0800
>

>Anyone have any experience with this program? This is a typing teaching
>program. The company (www.bytesoflearning.com) also makes a current version
>for the mac and PC but no longer (?) for the eMate. It's a nice program and
>I have contacted them about releasing it. We'll see.

Kevin,

I commend you for persuing that piece of software. There used to be two
typing tutors for the eMate:

TTL - Type to Learn by Sunburst
and
Ultrakey by Bytesoflearning

AFAIK both work only on the eMate b/c of the screen size required (I know
that TTL won't even launch on an MP2x00 in landscape mode). AND TTL needs
the Teacher Setup to make use of TTL for several students (otherwise you're
stuck with "The Teacher").

So, here's what I've found out: TTL is definitely discontinued and Sunburst
won't sell it as unsupported shareware. Last time I contacted them they
didn't even respond to the polite inquiry if they're considering the
release as freware and just stated that it's discontinued -period-. Maybe
someone else has better success... The programmer, Steven Grosmark, was
more helpful, but since he doesn't own the Copyright, he can't do much
about Sunburst's policy.

Bytesoflearning, on the other hand, also considers Ultrakey a discontinued
product, but they offered (in July this year) to sell it to me for the
"regular" price of $ 24.95 (contacting their office directly). For a
discontinued and unsupported product I thought that that wasn't worth it
and I declined. Maybe they've changed their mind and are considering a
freeware release. It's worth giving it a try.

Keep me (us all) posted on your progress.

Otto

*****
Otto Sohn <http://newted.dyndns.org/users/osohn/>
NewTIL <http://newted.dyndns.org/users/osohn/NewTIL/>