Re: [NTLK] Is an eMate without upgrade still worthy?

From: THX 1138 (onefishtwofish_at_mac.com)
Date: Sat Nov 17 2001 - 09:53:08 EST

On 11/16/01, Kevin LaCombe quoth:
>How usable is an eMate that doesn't have the memory upgrade?

I answered that one once before, and here's the link
<http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=newtontalk&m=100074560109690&w=2>
(I'm too lazy to retype) If you're too lazy to link, the gist of it
is, that for everyday tasks it's about the same, for processor
intensive tasks (i.e. graphics, Internet stuff) it's better with the
upgrade.

>Is web browsing doable?

hmmm, if you use only a bare minimum of programs, turn off images,
freeze packages to conserve heap and are very patient, then yeah,
it's almost doable.

>Internet email?

same caveats apply, but I used to do it with my 120, and un-upgraded
2000, so this is much more realistic.

>The card slot will fit a Type III card but what kind of type III cards will
>work with the eMate?

I've seen a few Type III ethernet cads with the ports on the card, if
an existing driver works, and they are pcmcia, not cardbus, they
might work.

>I've tested Paul's ATA driver on my MP120 (2.0). Will it work on an eMate?
>Maybe with a type III ATA hard drive card?

I've used the ATA driver on my emate with no problems, other than
it's kinda slow, but I was using the debug version so that may have
slowed it down too much. You'll have to ask paul about the specific
harddrive card, I don't think they work, yet.

>Any other great eMate things to try?

I personally enjoy sitting in my yard and typing my reports, for six
or so hours. The keyboard is one of the best I've ever used.The
screen on the emate is top notch in my opinion, and playing games on
it is a joy, for when I'm not working...

Of course the wow factor is the single greatest thing about the
emate. it still gets stares. enjoy yours!

later,

--
ben.
onefishtwofish_at_mac.com