Re: [NTLK] Newton Forum at AppleInsider

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Fri Nov 16 2001 - 13:45:18 EST

On 11/15/01 9:33 PM, "Brad Tober" <newtontalk_at_mac.com> wrote:

> After constant pestering, some vocal radicals at AppleInsider have
> gotten their wish - a Newton Forum. Visit us at
> <http://forums.appleinsider.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=forum&f=13>.
>
> Brad

First, this forum is not visible from AppleInsider's forum page. Next, when
I tried to use the above URL, I've got:

So, I cannot access the forum. Please advised.

-Laurent.

candygrammar n.: A programming-language grammar that is mostly syntactic
sugar; the term is also a play on `candygram'. COBOL, Apple's Hypertalk
language, and a lot of the so-called `4GL' database languages share this
property. The usual intent of such designs is that they be as English-like
as possible, on the theory that they will then be easier for unskilled
people to program. This intention comes to grief on the reality that syntax
isn't what makes programming hard; it's the mental effort and organization
required to specify an algorithm precisely that costs. Thus the invariable
result is that `candygrammar' languages are just as difficult to program in
as terser ones, and far more painful for the experienced hacker.