Re: [NTLK] Mac OS 9.1 & Newton Press

From: Grant [Crossed Fingers] Hutchinson (grant_at_splorp.com)
Date: Thu Nov 15 2001 - 23:53:43 EST

In a previous message, Stephanie Maks typed vigorously:

>After upgrading my iBook to OS9.1 this past week, I've found my Newton Press
>is suddenly crash-happy. Seems like every other keystroke it crashes with
>an error Type 1 or error Type 2. Anyone know of any incompatibilities?
>Should I try re-installing Newton Press? I have version 1.1 of Newton
>Press, and it worked very fine indeed on OS 9.04

Not that Newton Press was that well behaved before...

This is the same situation that I have experienced using NP 1.1 and Mac
OS 9.1 (and more recently 9.2.1). If someone who knew what they were
doing (read: not me) installed MacsBug and started getting down and dirty
in the machine code, they may be able to at least figure out what makes
NP so unhappy in these newer operating systems. Perhaps it may be
possible to patch NP into thinking it's healthy again.

Or I could be barking up the wrong tree.

I just make sure I save a lot when building Newton books.

g.

Grant Hutchinson Interface Considerations & Toys

Live video served fresh since 1996. http://www.splorp.com/cam/
Now fortified with daily ramblings. http://www.splorp.com/blog/
Newton. It's the Palm with a brain. http://www.splorp.com/newton/