Re: [NTLK] Printing from SER-001

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Wed Nov 14 2001 - 10:34:49 EST

on 11/14/01 9:42 AM, Achow2_at_aol.com at Achow2_at_aol.com wrote:

> I would like to say that I am complete dongle-less but this is not so. My
> SER-001 does not allow me to print from my BJ-80; however, I can print from my
> backup Newton with a SER-001 just fine.
>
> I get a one line printout of garbage. I gentle wiggle of the cable at the
> SER-001 end causes my Canon to beep but the error light does not display.
>
> I've reinstalled PrintPack2 by removing GDTPrintDriver from my extenstions.
> Perhaps it requires the removal of additional files ...
>
> I have the SER-001 secured with the screws. Should I pull the SER-001 and
> check the pins for solder flaws or bent pins. I don't recall which pins are
> for printing.
>
> Any ideas? Mr Humphreys was unable to help so for what it's worth, I'll throw
> out a call to ask if someone has another SER-001 that I can purchase.

I did experience a few problems with my SER-001. Do you have an interconnect
port adapter (AKA "the dongle")? This way, you could check if something is
wrong in your Newton before suspecting the hardware...

-Laurent.

dangling pointer n.: [common] A reference that doesn't actually lead
anywhere (in C and some other languages, a pointer that doesn't actually
point at anything valid). Usually this happens because it formerly pointed
to something that has moved or disappeared. Used as jargon in a
generalization of its techspeak meaning; for example, a local phone number
for a person who has since moved to the other coast is a dangling pointer.
Compare dead link.