Re: [NTLK] MAD, GPL, and all that

From: Eckhart Koeppen (eck1000_at_gmx.net)
Date: Tue Nov 13 2001 - 13:17:10 EST

Alexey Danilchenko wrote:

> I was following this thread with quite and interest and have couple questions and comments on my own.
>
> Sean Luke <sean_at_cs.gmu.edu> wrote:
>

>>Paul's (plausible) interpretation of the above is that cross-compilation
>>(compiling on one machine [the Mac] for another platform [the Newton])
>>is outside the "special exception" and thus the compiler and libraries
>>must be open source.
>>

> I've never heard of such a twisted approach to GPL interpretation as Paul have (of course
> I realise that GPL is written by lawers in the language that allows numerous interpretations :-).
> Following Paul's interpretation of the above paragraph - I would say that basically Paul is
> saying that GPL only allowed with GPL tools....

With the exception of the tools that are a major component of the
operating system. This I think is the main point where Paul has a
stricter view than others, assuming that since the NTK and NCT are
neither shipped with the Newton OS nor needed to run the Newton OS, they
are not a major component. If they were, Paul would not object to using
them for GPL software.

> Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Well, I think you brought up another set of interesting examples showing
that we shouldn't write off porting GPL-licensed software to the Newton
right away, since similar situations exist on other platforms.

Eckhart

--
                   -- eck_at_40hz.org -- www.40hz.org --