Re: [NTLK] [OT] vs. (OT) or Off topic marking

From: Sushi (Sushi_at_ragingbull.com)
Date: Mon Nov 12 2001 - 10:45:41 EST

>>On 11/12/01 @ 8:36, Jon Glass wrote:
>>
>>Do you know what would be really cool would be to have
>>a separate addy that you send OT topics to, that would
>>forward them to the list with the proper subject heading,
>>and possibly a different header, that would simplify
>>routing these messages to the "proper" place. :-)
>
>On 11/13/01 @ 12:17 AM, Robert Benschop wrote:
>
>And than give people the choice, with or without the
>'OT List' so effectively we'll have two lists......sigh

While this sounds good in concept, in execution, it probably will not
work well due to the spillover from each board into the other's area.

I've been on other lists where this was attempted. It works for a while,
then folks start crossing the lines. Then you end up having to read both
boards to follow a thread -- not a fun proposition. Finally out of
frustration, everyone returns to the regular board and ignores the off
topic one.

We are all adults here. Let's just use a simple notation for on topic
messages (like [NTLK]), and one for off topic messages (like [NTLK][OT]).
 Then just sort and delete those messages that you don't want to read.

Why make the Newtontalk List more difficult to manage and maintain, by
having two lists?

I would suggest that we can police ourselves.

Sushi