Re: [NTLK] AW: Leverage 3.1 Software

From: C.W. Otto Sohn (oky_at_avalon.net)
Date: Sat Nov 10 2001 - 02:29:55 EST

>Subject: Re: [NTLK] AW: Leverage 3.1 Software
>Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2001 21:45:12 +0100
>From: Chris Searles <csearles_at_netcologne.de>
>

>>Have a look here:
>>http://www.balconessoftware.com/html/how_to_buy.html
>>But for me it is too expensive.
>>I continue to try other programs.
>
>Such as?

Well,

nothing comes close to what you get with Leverage (although it doesn't
allow many layout options); BUT:

FilePad is a pretty decent database (comes up on eBay every once in a
while; but the company that took over the FilePad development -- after
HealthCare Communications -- seems to have disappeared without a trace * )

And then there is the autopart for NewtonWorks called eBase which is
available FREE. Admittedly it has only limited functionality and allows
only export but not import of databases and database entries. (For download
of eBase check UNNA and the publisher's website: LTScotland)

For more mundane organizational tasks you also have Notion.

Any other apps that I forgot (except the also discontinued Accordian that
only enables linking with FileMaker v.3.0, and even that not so well)?

* NOTE: I tried to contact Everchanging and its president John Anderson,
the company that continued FilePad development after HCC gave up/sold it,
but I had no luck - message bounced. Anybody else tried to track them down?
or is this software now abandoned not only by the developers but also by
the community? I wish someone would try again to check what happened to
Everchanging and FilePad.

Otto

*****
Otto Sohn <http://newted.dyndns.org/users/osohn/>