[NTLK] GUI 'n stuff

From: Frank Gruendel (Frank_Gruendel_at_t-online.de)
Date: Fri Nov 09 2001 - 19:14:10 EST

>I have pc-using friends who are slaves to the keyboard arrows. They will
>fritter away the minutes navigating through a document via the arrow keys,
>when a quick couple clicks of the mouse would have gotten them there
>quicker. :-) It's painful to watch.

One of the first things I learned when I started writing user interface
software was that I shouldn't expect everyone doing things the way I do
or the way I think is the only reasonable one.
Seeing my colleage using the menu to do clipboard operations
like copy or paste drives me crazy. Two fingers of my left hand are
permanently glued to
<CTRL> (or <Apple>, don't wanna start anything here again) and the C and V
keys whatever I do. I wouldn't, though, even think of using the keyboard
for selecting parts of the text I'm working at which my colleague
happily does. I would never think of using the menu for selecting all
text because <CTRL> (or <Apple>...) A is so easy.
On the other hand, my colleage always uses <CTRL> S to save things.
Something I have stopped doing since the time
ccMail decided they wouldn't stick to the standard and use this shortcut
for sending the currently edited text...

Frank

Newton software and hardware stuff at www.pda-soft.de