Re: [NTLK] 18TH TOP500 LIST OF WORLD'S FASTEST SUPERCOMPUTERS RELEASED

From: Steven M. Scotten (splicer_at_paroxysm.com)
Date: Fri Nov 09 2001 - 17:44:30 EST

On Fri, 9 Nov 2001 17:13:08 EST, Templarsog1_at_aol.com wrote:

>Why no Mac based Supercomputer?

Probably because #499 on the list is a system with 226 PPC 604e
chips.... I don't think Apple makes systems with more than two or four.
If you mean, why doesn't Apple build one, I can't answer that except
that they've only recently entered the club of companies with an OS
that could even potentially handle that kind of hardware. Maybe now
they'll start, but the way that Jobs talks I'd kind of doubt it.

Interesting but useless idea: parallel processing for the Newton! Set
up a Beowulf-type array of hundreds of Newts to chug out answers to
really hard math problems! OK, it's a lousy idea, but it would be fun!

Steve