Re: [NTLK] Card problem

From: Victor Rehorst (victor_at_newtontalk.net)
Date: Wed Nov 07 2001 - 20:44:33 EST

On Wed, 7 Nov 2001, Donald E. Stowe wrote:

> Whenever I try to insert my card it gives me a dialog box that says
> "Activating packages on the store 'card'." But it just hangs there without
> actually activating the packages.
>
> 1. Is there any way to get the card in use without activating?

Yes. It's tricky, but it can be done. The process is outlined in the FAQ
here:

http://www.chuma.org/newton/faq/newton-faq-nos.html#IIIB2c

Follow those instructions (it can be tricky to get right, be patient) but
you should be safe in activating the packages on your Internal store -
just disable the ones on your card. Now, when you go to Extras and view
the packages on the card, their icons will have an X drawn on them -
indicating that they're not loaded.

You can then proceed to tap on them one by one - activating them. If you
tap on one that hangs your Newt, then it's probably corrupt - do the
special reset again, and then delete the package while it's disabled.

> 2. How can I re-format the card?

With the card removed, open Prefs. Insert the card - you should get a
dialog asking you to initialize (format, erase, whatever) the card. Only
suggested if you have a backup, or can re-install the packages, or as a
last resort...