Re: [NTLK] AW: Transistors vs. tubes

From: Darl Singh (darl_at_ses.net.nz)
Date: Tue Nov 06 2001 - 16:47:24 EST

Happy to debate this off-list, but as a valve (tube) enthusiast in the
process of building tri-amp sand amps, the major difference is in the
'sweetness' of the upper mid-range: even excellent transistor amps tend to
add glare to this area (eg Linn, Madrigal, Levinson, Naim) where similarly -
priced valve amps tend to sound more 'right'....but lose it towards the bass
end.

Exceptions are around to both these generalisations - but generally, that
mid-range 'correctness' is what I'm looking for in my sand amps,. along with
minimal phase-shift to simplify the crossover network...but thats another
story!

Getting there too - with a lot of help from their designer!

Cheers
-D