Re: [NTLK] ATA Support delayed (was: Re: ATA demo expired!)

From: David Orriss Jr (dave_at_davenet.net)
Date: Tue Nov 06 2001 - 14:20:10 EST

Rest well old friend. We can certainly wait a while for a new ATA
release. Just get to feeling better and let us all know when you're up and
around again.... :)

At 12:05 AM 11/6/2001 +0100, you wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>À (At) 11:41 +1300 6/11/01, Thomas Wernitz écrivait (wrote) :
> >unfortunately the ATA demo has expired and there is no update available.
> >Could you please post a new version?
>
>Sorry, Thomas, I cannot. I'm exhausted beyond reasonable limits. Huge
>stress, health problems (heavy migranes caused by stress), hardware
>failures (my screen died on Monday, the VGA adapter that came with it
>died on Friday -- I thought it was the built-in video card of the G3
>-- my hard drive refused to mount on Friday evening so I spent Friday
>night and all Saturday burning CDs) added to normal lack of time
>doesn't permit me to release ATA Support 1.0b10 tonight. Well, I
>could, but I would sleep less than 4 hours which I prefer to not do.
>And I'm not even sure to be able to release it tomorrow as I have a
>huge day (I have meetings I even haven't found the time yet to
>prepare) and I take the GRE wednesday morning, so I'd better sleep.
>
>When I released ATA Support 1.0b9, I wrote that a new version would
>be available soon. It hasn't been the fact because of all these
>factors and also because I've done deeper changes than I should have
>(which lead last week to a speed increase of 10% and I have done
>further optimizations since (probably less important, though)). The
>current build doesn't work, it freezes the Newton and additionally,
>it could corrupt data if the store gets full (well, actually, ATA
>Support 1.0b9 also does, but this time I'm aware of the problem). And
>I've partially only fixed the bug with cards that can't be
>partitioned (in fact, which aren't properly written to).
>
>I apologize for the trouble it creates.
>
>If you use ATA cards for your data, you can fool the expiration date
>mechanism the following way: set the date back before the expiration
>date (Monday, 5th, 2359). Insert the ATA card. Set the date to its
>normal value. The check is indeed only performed when you insert the
>card and ATA Support is quite dumb for that expiration date (it's
>just meant so (a) I release versions at regular periods and (b)
>testers only report problems with the latest release).
>
>Sorry all. I'm just so tired and stressed for personal reasons that I
>sometimes feel going nuts.
>
>Paul
>--
>Home page: http://www.kallisys.com/
>Newton-powered WebServer: http://newt.dyndns.org:8080/
>
>--

David Orriss Jr.
dave_at_davenet.net
http://www.davenet.net
ICQ UIN: XXXXXX (please ask if you want to talk via ICQ)
Linux - Chicken Soup for the Unix Soul