Re: [NTLK] [ANN] ZLib for NewtonOS 1.0

From: Steve Weyer (weyer_at_kagi.com)
Date: Mon Nov 05 2001 - 11:51:16 EST

> From: R Pickett <emerson_at_hayseed.net>
> Date: 04 Nov 2001 20:51:56 -0800
>
> On Sun, 2001-11-04 at 04:08, newtontalk_at_newtontalk.net wrote:
>> I'm pleased to announce ZLib for NewtonOS.
>
> This is super cool; congrats and thanks.
>
> Anyone yet planned to take up the idea of hacking compressed-content
> negotiation into the various browsers out there? Having on-the-fly
> compression of your browsing is SUCH a godsend on slower links....

well, there will be the Unzip plugin for Newt's Cape that I'll be releasing
later today. currently, after downloading a .zip file, it would open an
overview window, and you'd need to manually select file(s) you want, e.g.,
.pkg, .htm, etc.

is communicating via a compressed http: stream (based on Zlib) a feature of
some servers and clients ??

> Now... on to OpenSSL for NewtonOS.... (*evil grin)

if someone wants to port this as a library to Newton and provide me a nice
NS-to-C interface, I'd consider adding it to Newt's Cape

--
Steve
  weyer_at_kagi.com