Re: [NTLK] [ANN] ZLib for NewtonOS 1.0

From: Steve Weyer (weyer_at_kagi.com)
Date: Mon Nov 05 2001 - 04:41:47 EST

> From: Brad Tober <newtontalk_at_mac.com>
>
> Paul-
> Would this software be worthwhile to implement in the Newton Media
> System? Compression of video/audio would most certainly be a space-saver
> on the Newton. Or do I just not get the purpose of the software? If it
> would be, I'd be looking for some help doing it, but it looks pretty
> good!
>
> Brad Tober

Basically, Zlib handles the "Deflate" style compression of data that you
typically find in .zip files.

I'm using it for:
- newtVNC -- Zlib (and maybe Tight) encodings
  [some VNC servers compress the bitmap using Zlib]
- UnzipBMP plugin for Newt's Cape -- after downloading a .zip file via http:
  (or in Inbox via SimpleMail or EETransfer), you can extract files and view
  (or give them to other apps for processsing)
[these will be released "soon" (probably later today)]

I've read that Zlib is used in PNG graphics format, and it's probably useful
in other places too. I'd guess that other compression methods are used in
JPEG, MP3 etc. -- but perhaps Paul or someone else more knowledgable about
these formats might comment.

--
Steve
  weyer_at_kagi.com