[NTLK] some travel tips; was -> Re: Backups

From: doppler (doppler_at_mac.com)
Date: Sun Nov 04 2001 - 18:24:31 EST

Alexandre Enkerli [aenkerli_at_indiana.edu] wrote the following 2001-10-15
17.57:

> On the subject of backups, it's a very important issue for me right now.
> I'm preparing for anthropological fieldwork in West Africa and I'm
> extremely wary of getting my stuff stolen or broken.
>
> Oh, I know, you all despise me! You all think I'm paranoid! ;-)

actually, no - at least i dont. on the contrary i think youre doing the
right thing. when i went to india last year i had a second mp2k set ready in
a sealed box, ready to be sent to a poste restante address any time i would
need it. (luckily, i never did, india is a far more safe place than i ever
hoped)

as i travelled over the whole subcontinent, i had no other possibility to
backup than via mail (never got that FTP program to work.) a tip here is to
make sure that your ISP will work where youre going, i had terrible problems
with this, as my dial up number wouldnt work for various reasons.

also, be sure to store the backup card(s) separately from other valuable
equipment. a card in itself doesnt look expensive and desirable, so that
might save you.

last but not least, be aware of the current peaks that my occur in thirld
world, make sure to use a volt stabilizer or a battery tray+nimh's+charger
with your newton. as a bonus, AA's work in some newton-compatible cameras,
if you would bring a coolpix. dont forget that expensive nimh's are close to
impossible to get i developing countries, bring a couple of sets when you
go.

good luck and have a safe trip!

doppler