Re: [NTLK] homemade screen protectors

From: Paul Guyot (pguyot_at_kallisys.net)
Date: Sun Nov 04 2001 - 03:28:28 EST

>I have not heard a lot of discussion on this list in regards to homemade
>screen protectors. I buy sheets of plastic from a printing company and cut
>to just fit slightly under the newton's edges that are over the screen.
>This protector lasts for a week or two and then must be replaced, because it
>seems to scuff up a lot faster than the commercial screen protectors.
>But I can get several screen protectors from 1 sheet of plastic and at a few
>cents a sheet, it's a whole lot less expensive and seems to work just as
>well, though as I said, you need to change the protectors often.
>Anyone else making their own? And is there any advice as to grades of
>plastic, availability sources, etc?

I'm using homemade protectors as well. When I got the first scratches
on my first Newton (the one I killed), I bought a series of
accessories from the screen cleaning spray (and it's actually just a
CD cleaning spray) to WriteRights and Barriers (yes, it's not very
new). All that cost me a lot in terms of shipping fees.
When the last Barriers had been used (I have some WriteRights left,
the problem with WriteRights is that I can't see what was on the
screen without the backlight), I made my own screen protectors (I
don't know if I had the idea from here or from the GFUN website --
BTW, Karen told me that the page is down now). I searched for a lot
of sheets, and indeed, the sheets to print to had a very limited
lifetime. Now, I am using a white transparent plastic folder I had I
don't know where from, and it lasts for months and months and months
(and yes, it last longer than the barriers). Additionally, I can make
them a little bit longer so there is no hole at the top or at the
bottom. Some people think that it will cause squiggles to use a
screen protector like this one, between the case and the screen.
Well, I never had squiggles.

Paul

--
Home page: http://www.kallisys.com/