Re: [NTLK] going cellular- sorta

From: Peter Cameron (pdwc_at_sympatico.ca)
Date: Fri Nov 02 2001 - 21:43:56 EST

   I use the DPC650 with my Newt with a Motorola Cellect 14.4 modem. I also have a Montana 33.6, but there's no point in having the faster modem for cell use. The 14.4 also seems to produce a more solid connect under adverse conditions (fringe of cell coverage).
   The 14.4 also sucks less power from the Newt ... an important factor when emailing from the woods.
   Just don't plan lengthy web surfing sessions, your batteries will drain pretty fast.
   I'd also recommend the highest capacity NiCads you can get (or lithiums) for the Newt while using the Cellect modem.

Peter