Re: [NTLK] Community Development

From: Sushi (Sushi_at_ragingbull.com)
Date: Fri Nov 02 2001 - 11:43:22 EST

>>On Fri, 2 Nov 2001 @ 11:27:05, David Cooney wrote:
>>
>>How about by waking up?
>>
>>Unfortunately PocketPC will have the market sewn
>>up by the end of next year

Why do you say this?

Currently the Palm has around 75% of the market.

There are many Palm OS manufacturers: Palm, Handera, Sony, and Handspring
come to mind.

The Palm platform continues to evolve. Most don't need all the features
that MSFT touts with the Pocket PC.

After using the Pocket PC for a while, I find its interface to be very
ill suited to a palm sized device. Sure it's fun to show your friends
the new device with things like video, MP3, etc. However, in practical
use, most folks don't need or use these functions.

Also, the Pocket PC, er, WinCE 4 OS does not allow you to run the full
office apps. The pocket versions of MSFT Word, Excel and PowerPoint are
very limited. In fact, you can't run PP on a palm sized Pocket PC
device. You can only run it on the devices with a keyboard. And then,
it is very limited in what you can do.

QuickOffice for the Palm OS, IMHO, is much better than Pocket Office and
provides Palm OS folks a wonderful way to exchange data between their
desktops and Palm OS devices.

Also, the Palm OS is supported on Windose and Mac. Pocket PC, isn't.

One thing that I've found interesting with Pocket PC users is that they
seem to be searching for the best solution. Whereas a Palm user, tends
to keep using their Palms a long time not always looking for something
better. That indicates to me more satisfaction with the Palm based
devices than with Pocket PC devices.

And now with the Palm OS devices adding many of the same features as the
Pocket PC devices, there is even less reason to consider switching
platforms.

Another issue to consider is cost. Palm OS devices can be purchased
around $140, where as Pocket PC devices go for much more.

Anyhow, I will be curious to hear your reasons why you think that the
Pocket PC will dominate the market in the future.

Sushi