Re: [NTLK] Community Development

From: Jeroen Goulooze (jeroengoulooze_at_hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Nov 02 2001 - 04:31:54 EST

There have been some initiatives to start such a thing. They somehow never
worked. Propbably too much noise and no structure (I know I can make a lot
of noise, too, and in a fairly unstructured way).

If you want to do it right you have create specs and agree on what is the
most important.

People never agreed on what it is they want: the hardware or the software.
And what part of the hardware or software?

I would be happy with an open soup based datastorage mechanism on
(webbased/xml). Java/jabba??? So it can be used on any platform...

MoreInfo and HyoperNewt connected to the Newton because of the soup based
storage. And that seems to be the killer apps. To port that functionality to
other platforms you need...

Oops, here we go again...

Sorry.

Jeroen Goulooze

----Original Message Follows----

The idea of a successor to the Newt seems to be a recurring theme here.
And we basically have a lot of ideas of what an ideal PDA should be.
Yet, we don't have the manpower to build it. After all, Paul G.'s busy
enough right now...
But maybe a solution would be to involve people in other communities of
PDA users and developers.
The reason I'm thinking about this is that I think we're part of the
ideal focus group for new PDA products. IOW, we need our voices to be
heard by those who will eventually build the perfect device.
Maybe there's already such a thing, but a "Perfect PDA" mailing-list
where we could discuss dreams of PDA heaven could work.
What do you think?

Alex Enkerli
PDA idealist at large