[NTLK] French expression

From: SlashDevNull (SlashDevNull_at_mac.com)
Date: Thu Nov 01 2001 - 22:33:59 EST

Salutations,

  I have been racking my brain trying to think of a certain French
expression. (no not expressionist) :)

  The saying literally means 'The thought at the bottom of the stairs'.

  It means when somebody says something to you, but you can not think of a
reply. Then a few minutes later, you think of the perfect reply.

  In other words, someone said something to you at the top of the stairs,
and after descending to the bottom, you think of the reply, but too late to
say it back to the person.

  Anyone have any ideas?

  And yes, I think I may have posted something on topic a few weeks back.
:)

David