Re: [NTLK] (Lord of the Rings) in Newton Book format

From: Don (don_at_dcphotos.com)
Date: Thu Nov 01 2001 - 17:00:32 EST

> From: "Marcus Hilderbrand" <marcusah_at_crosswinds.net>
> Subject: [NTLK] (Lord of the Rings) in Newton Book format
> Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2001 13:18:05 -0800
>
> Hey,
>
> You know what tolkien's dead! did anyone ever consider that fact when they
> posted "flames" and arguements about copyright. Indeed some company somewhere
> holds a copyright but then are not all "classic" books and texts and other
> books that are in newton format copyrighted?
 Not necessarily, some ARE in the public domain.
>if so then th 100's of books out
> there ( most of them are in violation of a copyright ) yet we
Speak for yourself
> ignor that and
> focus on LOTR which is not right. If we are to have a copyright issue it
> should be with all "classics" that have been converted to newton book format.
> If permission was given to convert these books to an electronic format from
> the publisher ( or who ever holds the copyright ) then that would be one thing
> but they would lose a lot of money in doing so. So back to the copyright
> issue I guess sometimes you
Again speak for yourself
> must ignor it and other times you must not.
>
> Confused?
No, I'm quite clear on the law, and I choose NOT to ignore it. Look people,
I have no beef with anyone copying a book into Newton format and giving it
to everyone around the world, my beef is people trying to justify it by
saying it's a classic or abondonware or whatever.
> I am too. It's just that thre should be no discussion about
> copyright on "one" book because it might bring up the same issue with other
> books ( converted to newt that is ) anyway we best drop it unless we wont the
> people who worked so hard to convert these different books to newton format in
> trouble or jail or something like that.
>
> Keep the green out of jail.
>
> Marcus Hilderbrand
> marcusah_at_crosswinds.net