Re: [NTLK] Ed's guru status?

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Thu Nov 01 2001 - 15:35:21 EST

on 11/1/01 3:19 PM, Zachery Bir at zbir_at_urbanape.com wrote:

> On Thursday, November 1, 2001, at 03:02 , SlashDevNull wrote:
>
>> Ohh, a challenger.
>>
>> But we must all start off at idiot level first.
>>
>> (except for me, I go up a level for thinking of this)
>
> Are you drunk?

BTW, not that I'm drunk, but on a Unix system, it's /dev/null, so
SlashDevSlashNull, not SlashDevNull...

-Laurent.

firewall code n.: 1. The code you put in a system (say, a telephone switch)
to make sure that the users can't do any damage. Since users always want to
be able to do everything but never want to suffer for any mistakes, the
construction of a firewall is a question not only of defensive coding but
also of interface presentation, so that users don't even get curious about
those corners of a system where they can burn themselves. 2. Any sanity
check inserted to catch a can't happen error. Wise programmers often change
code to fix a bug twice: once to fix the bug, and once to insert a firewall
which would have arrested the bug before it did quite as much damage.