[NTLK] Bent contacts & battery packs

From: Gruendel, Frank 3837 PPE-S3 (Frank.Gruendel_at_de.heidelberg.com)
Date: Tue Jun 26 2001 - 01:15:15 PDT

>If you remember, I did post sometime ago a message regarding a problem I
was
>having with one of my pack. It turned out that the pack has a little crack
>in the case. I'm not sure if that is the cause of my problem, where the
pack
>will suddenly make no good contact with the MP, causing a restart. I know
>you haven't seen the pack and it's maybe hard to tell, but would I have
>reasonable chance of repairing that pack? I'm fairly sure that if the crack
>is the cause of poor contact, and if I could get it fixed, the battery
would
>still be good. But how should I proceed with a cracked case?

Whether this has a chance of success depends on where and how big the crack
is. If it is somewhere close to a contact, it might be that the contact has
somewhat shifted or been pressed towards the inside of the battery pack. If
the
crack is somewhere way between the contacts, I doubt that it is the
culprit. Maybe the pack is just a weeny bit smaller than the other pack,
I've heard of packs where this seems to be the case. Given the fact that the
contacts inside the MP are not too reliable and have a tendency to get bent
(a classic fault with MP2K's), it might be worth trying to open the MP2K
and bend the contacts back. Beware that I don't exactly know what I'm
talking
about here, I don't own a MP2K and have never opened one. If someone has
a corpse lying around he wants to part with at a reasonable price, please
drop me a line ;-)

Frank