Re: [NTLK] Tough decision...sell my Newt? Buy a Palm

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Jun 21 2001 - 12:54:47 PDT

> I have used them
> all over the years even
> went as far as shall I dare say it, used a WinCE
> device...Big mistake

In my "former" life, I had used every PDA known to
exist (I still get the opportunity to play with some
of the newer ones because of my self proclaimed
"Gadget" moniker)Starting with the AT&T EO (barely not
even considered a PDA, but it kinda started this "Pen"
thing) and various Magic Cap implementations, several
versions of Palm, (I must say that the wireless
implementation on the Palm VII is not as smooth as the
Newton sollution by Motorola on the Motorola Marco...)
I particularly enjoyed playing with the Simon and even
deployed the cellphone/pda sollution through my
support team.
As far as the WinCE platform goes, it's important to
differentiate between the Jupiter class and the
hand-held-Palm devices. The HP Jornada 820 and the Nec
MobilePro series are simply awsome. Yet, they are
scaled down renditions of lightweight laptops. But
functionality and ease of use (not to mention, the
speed) brings a smile to the face of any Windows lap
top user frustrated with the boot times of Win2K on a
64mb laptop.
When talking about the palm held units, there are the
good and the truly sucky...I loved-and-hated the
Philips Nino. The implementation and ability to hold
it in your hand was comfortable. The modifications
they made to the OS and included programs was,
well...not very well thought out!
Today's class of Palm computers in the WinCE arena are
nothing short of amazing. The Compaq iPaq with the
color screen is an incredible machine. With every
increment of WinCE, Microsoft does one more thing
"right". If they continue the way they're going, they
will dominate the Palm computing arena that Palm sits
so comfortably in...for the time being.
So, why didn't I like the Palm? Hmmm, it seemed
limited to what it could do and REQUIRED connectivity
to a desktop machine to make it a complete unit.
That's what I love about the Newt...The only time in
the last 4 years that I connected my Newt to a
computer was about 2 months ago when i needed to
create a second backup of a memory card...My Newt is
completly autonomous and has been my my side since the
original 110...
So, considering that my Newt is still working
(although, th IR thing seems to not function anymore)
I can wait for the industry to catch up to a device
that was already perfect 3 years ago!
Ed
web/gadget guru

=====
note: This does not constitute a sig file...